Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bottom Heat

Well, I learned an important lesson today: bottom heat makes soil dry out much quicker.

In the midst of juggling my hectic schedule of TAing, taking classes, and working on my thesis project, I figured that I could wait two days to check on the plants. How wrong I was! The soil was very dry.

Which comes to my second problem to solve: watering wands and breakers. The breaker provided was verging on pressure-washing force. At my request, the greenhouse manager set out a few more breakers and a watering can, all of which apply so much force that soil gets displaced from the cells. I've had to pick out a few seeds that have washed into neighboring cells and replant them in their original cell. This is not good. I'm going to try my best with the watering can, although it is hardly optimum.

And I will start checking on the plants everyday. Hopefully the seeds are forgiving of this week's "dry spell".

No comments:

Post a Comment