Thursday, April 15, 2010

Scions begin rooting on Day 5 after grafting.

It has been interesting to observe changes in graft cut and stomatal conductance each day. I believe that some of the grafts have healed together, as their stomatal conductances have increased to normal levels. If I were to do further growth chamber studies, I'd be curious to experiment with the methyl blue dye used in an experiment in Japan. Similar to the child's science experiment with celery or carnations with colored water, rootstocks are placed in methyl blue solution. When grafted onto the scion, xylem connection can be directly observed by methyl blue moving into the scion tissue. I'll add that to my long list of Maybe Someday To Do's.

Scion rooting and swelling graft cut pushing off silicone clip (Cherokee Purple self-graft)
I noticed a few days ago that the scion was swelling at the graft cut. Now most of the scions have been pushing out roots, as would be expected at high humidities. I'm hoping that these roots will naturally air prune and callus tissue is simultaneously forming and healing the scion and rootstock together.

No comments:

Post a Comment